Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bobbin Lace Workshop

Last Saturday I attended a Bobbin Lace workshop. I must say that there are a lot of tutorials about lacemaking, for example on www.youtube.com, but none of them revealed little tips and secrets that I've learnt from alive Bobbin Lace workshop.
I've been waiting for this day for a long time and was so excited that 2 hours of driving went fast. At the workshop we've been giving all necessary supplies, including a pillow, bobbins, pins, charts, thread and some other essential little things.
Did you know that the idea of Bobbin lace started from the nets that fishermen used?
Did you know that hundreds of years ago you had to go to the school to learn Bobbin Lace?
We have learnt how to work out 3 main stitches in Bobbin Lace. Here is my work in progress,
and here is the result of my work, just a piece to practice the main stitches with a couple of mistakes. Practice, practice, practice! To make this little piece of 4" took me 3 hours. I hope later I will be able to do it faster.
So, what I've learnt so far? First of all, as we say in Russian "Не так страшен чёрт, как его малюют". I can do it, I liked it and I will keep working on mastering my skills in Bobbin Lace. First, I am planning to finish a couple of projects in real size for a practice and then I will try my hands in miniature. To work Bobbin Lace in miniature I purchased special size of miniature pins and very fine cotton thread. I hope later I will be able to make a little tutorial, or at least to show how it works. I am not planning to buy fancy bobbins yet, I purchased the cheapest in a case if I will be bored with it too fast. As for a pillow, there is a way to make a pillow by yourself, but I will tell you how to make it later. Did you know that people used sticks and bones for bobbin lace? Did you know that the poem "One, two, buckle my shoe" is about a bobbin lace? Did you know that John Heathcoat invented a machine that can make bobbin lace? No? Me either. Live and learn! more on Bobbin Lace later...

14 comments:

Elga said...

This is something I want to learn too, so I look forward to see and hear more from you.

Drora's minimundo said...

Dear Natalia, now you can understand my exitement about receiving Rosa Margarita's prize. My very talented daughter Nilly, once took lessons in bobbin lace making and did marvellous modern pieces, then she went on to quilting and now does ceramics.
Hugs

Josje said...

Wonderful Natalia! It's something I want to learn as well. Years ago I bought bobbins, pillows, stand, books etc. from a lady who could no longer do it due to her age. I started practicing with enthusiasm, but found I had a problem holding the bobbins. Whatever I did, my hands would start hurting. So I gave up. I may have been doing something wrong, so one day I would like to take a proper class, like you did.
I look forward to seeing you reaching the stage where you can work in miniature!

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Elga, Drora and Josje, thank you for your comments.
Josje, have you tried exercises for fingers and hands? Our teacher in Bobbin Lace told us that the best craft for the fingers is tatting. I don't know if I want to do that yet, but I am hooked on Bobbin Lace right now. Elga and Josje, I hope you will join me soon in my new adventure.

Dorien Litjes said...

I'm looking forward to your project. My cushion and sticks are in the attic. Maybe I have to get it downstairs...;-)
I do have a lot of books about lace making when you like I can put some cards on to my blog when you like. Let me know when I can be any help.
Hugs
Dorien

Crafter's Delights said...

Wow, the process looks very complicated and difficult, but I'm glad you finally got to learn it! It's a great feeling when you've made your first piece. Good luck with your practice and I'm looking forward to more posts about this art! xoxo, Amy

Judith said...

So pleased that you enjoyed your class Natalia. I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress with this new skill. Judith x

Contrastes-Rosa Mª said...

Es grato tener a personas con los mismos gustos , a mi me encantan los bolillos, el resultado es muy gratificante, si quieres puedes pasarte por mi blog http://bolillos-rosamaria.blogspot.com/2012/03/fantasco-blog.html
tienes información para la fabricación del mundillo o almohada, y algunas cositas más, miraré que tal tus progresos :)

BiWuBär said...

I really admire you for trying this - and achieving such a fantastic result. It's kind of funny, my blog-friend Ulrike from Zaubärgarten is learning how to do bobbin lace, too - now I have two blog friends living far away from each other and trying do such wonderful stuff... ;O)

Greetings
Birgit

Ascension said...

Debe ser dificil hacer esas maravillas, pero el resultado es fantastico.
Feliz fin de semana
besitos ascension

Eva said...

Mucha suerte en esta nueva aventura, seguiré tus progresos. Un saludo, Eva

Melli Hobby said...

I really admire you for trying this.It´s difficult I think.
Well done. I love the result.
Greetings
Melanie

Tatiana said...

Это прекрасное искусство. Моя прабабушка, 100 лет тому назад(Боже, какая я старая)была кружевница. К сожалению - секреты были утеряны. Вам желаю больших успехов в этом деле!

Tere (teviro) said...

Nunca me ha dado por los bolillos, me parece un trabajo realmente dificil. Te ha quedado magnifico, asi que sigue con ello.
Felicidades.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...